Hornet and wasp stings are more painful than bee stings, however, the stinger does not
become imbedded (this is a good thing!). If your dog is stung by a wasp or hornet,
keep an eye on your furry friend and follow the guidelines above.
What's That Buzz? What to do if your dog gets stung by a bee.
I did a little research and here is what I found:
The significance of a sting depends on the type of insect, the
location of the sting and of course, how your pet reacts to the
venom (not all dogs have the same reaction). If your dog is
stung by a generic Honeybee, you must (if possible) remove the
stinger from your pet. The Honeybee has a barbed stinger which
imbeds itself into the victim. The stinger can be removed by
gently scraping with a credit card or other blunt object. DO NOT
pull the stinger out with tweezers! Using tweezers often results in
additional venom being squeezed in the skin!
The most common signs that your doggie friend has been stung by a bee are: swelling,
redness and pain around the affected area. Most of the time, all that is needed to bring
Fido some relief is a simple ice-pack held to the affected area, however, dogs that have
more severe reactions to bee stings will most likely need immediate veterinary care. The
signs of severe reactions include: weakness (including fainting), shortness of breath,
significant swelling (away from the site of the sting) and over anxious behavior.Vets are
well equipped to deal with severe bee stings and may use a fast-acting injectable
medication such as steroids, antihistamine or adrenaline to help your pet.
A few days ago my sister told me that her dog was stung by a bee while playing
outside. This bit of news got me thinking….would I know what to do if one of my dogs
was stung? What type of reaction(s) should I look for?